Friday, March 26, 2010

Easy Homemade Sandwich Bread



















I’ve always been a little intimidated by yeast. Before I began cooking regularly, I tried a few recipes for yeast rolls and somehow they would come out flat or hard. I just couldn’t help myself from over kneading the dough, letting it rise too much, or too little. Either way, I felt defeated. 
    Recently I was pressed to confront my fear of yeast. My husband was going on a special, low iodine diet and needed bread without iodized salt. So, I “borrowed” my parents bread-maker (which they no longer used) and went about investigating a recipe. With a few adaptations, I developed my own whole wheat, dairy free, cholesterol free version. 
In addition, the ground flax seed adds essential omega-3 fatty acids, while the agave nectar provides a low glycemic, all natural sweetness. 
    My husband has been off the low iodine diet for a couple of months now, but I still continue to make the bread since it is so easy and delicious (although now it includes iodized sea salt). I simply load the ingredients in the bread-maker before I go to bed and press start.
No more buying processed sandwich bread at the grocery store with all sorts of conditioners, preservatives, and artificial colors. Just wholesome, healthy ingredients with a satisfying taste. Plus, there’s nothing better than waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread.

Dairy Free Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
for the bread-maker

1 1/3 cups of luke warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour*
1 cup all purpose flour*
2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey may be substituted)
1 package of yeast

Add ingredients into your bread-maker and press start. 
It should take a little over four hours to rise and bake. 
Serve warm or at room temperature. 
* use organic ingredients whenever possible.

©2010 tricia barry biagi

4 comments:

  1. Bring a loaf to Columbus!! Sounds and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and I love that it has flax seed in it! I'll be blowing the dust off my bread machine to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we'll be taking that bread maker out of retirement, too. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we've been making a version of the sullivan street bakery no-knead recipe - we actually have a loaf proofing today, though i think we should have added some flax for fun :)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

    ReplyDelete